Use the resources below to orientate yourself to your device and the service. If you have questions or feedback at any time, please contact the ITS Service Center. We’re happy to help!
Set Up & Use Your Device
Shortcuts & Bookmarks
You may need to recreate desktop shortcuts if you received a replacement device or if your current device was rebuilt. Here are some tips:
- Windows 10: Create desktop shortcuts in Windows 10
- Windows 10: Pin apps and folders to the desktop or taskbar
- Windows 7: Create or delete a shortcut
- Mac: Dock Basics
Use the MiWorkspace Icon
The MiWorkspace icon located in the menu or taskbar of your device has convenient links to a number of technology resources:
- Computer Name
- Troubleshooting (Windows) - Basic diagnostic information
- Stay Awake – Presentation mode to stop your device from sleeping for four hours
- Lock Screen
- MiWorkspace Resources – Quick link to this website for resources and information about the service
- ITS Service Status Page – Information on outages, upgrades, and planned changes
- Chat 4HELP – Chat with an ITS Service Center representative
- MPrint – Printer Installer
- Software Center (Windows) / Managed Software Center (Mac) – Download and install new software and updates.
Pin the MiWorkspace Icon (Windows Only)
Pin the MiWorkspace Icon to the taskbar for easy use in the future.
- Click Show Hidden Icons in the taskbar.
- Click Customize.
- Click the drop-down menu next to MWSHelperApp.exe and select Show icon and notifications.
- Click OK.
- Right-click the taskbar.
- Click Settings.
- On the left, click Taskbar.
- In the Notification Area, click “select which icons appear on the taskbar.”
- Locate the MiWorkspace Helper App in the list and select “on.”
- Close the taskbar settings.
- Computing at U-M Overview – Refer to the Get Connected Guide for an introduction to the many resources and services offered by ITS to the U-M community.
- Stay Safe Online – Security is balanced with convenience to secure your data, devices, and personal information. Your computer receives important security updates as threats arise. Visit the Safe Computing website for tips to stay safe online.
- Store Sensitive Data Responsibly – Use the Sensitive Data Guide to determine the best storage to securely store and share sensitive data, including research, student education records, loan applications, and more.
- Technical Training – Learn how to use new software and other technical skills from a variety of workshops, documentation, and support options available to faculty and staff. Visit Technical Training at U-M website to locate the training opportunity to meet your needs.